Saturday 29 November 2014

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Speculation


Well done, J.J. Abrams. Thanks to you, I've got Star Wars fever and that's not going away for a while! So I thought that if I can't get rid of it, I might as well embrace it and go back to look at the rumoured plot and character details for Star Wars: The Force Awakens while taking into account info from the recently released teaser trailer (go check out my reactions to that if you want to hear them). So, without further ado, let's get started and look at the cast so far announced and who they might be playing.


The Cast


 

Look, I'm not going to waste my time or yours here analysing who the returning cast are playing because we all know. We've got Harrison Ford as Han Solo, Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, and Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia (so, is Leia technically a Disney princess after this?). Also returning are Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca, and Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker as comedy double-act C3PO and R2D2. So let's move onto the newcomers starting with who we saw in the trailer a few days ago. 

Two of the main actors in the movie can be seen to the right, John Boyega and Daisy Ridley who were both seen in the brief teaser. Boyega appeared in the Stormtrooper outfit near the beginning of the trailer. I would like him to be playing an Imperial trooper rather than doing a Luke and Han and just dressing up like one from "A New Hope" so that we can see some events from the Empire's perspective , so I think that's who he's playing. Ridley, on the other hand, appears to be a Tatooine native, and the leader of the new trilogy. Rumours have been circulating that she is playing Han and Leia's daughter, possibly called Kira. That seems like a very plausible option and the one I'm rooting for to be true.




Now I'm going to talk about this sinister character for a while. This would appear to be our Sith for the movie and my bet's on this being Adam Driver, who has long been rumoured to be the villain. However, I doubt he is the only villain and I'm hoping that the rumours of the three Jedi Hunters, called Inquisitors, are true, with Driver, Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o and another playing them. I also doubt that it is Driver doing the voiceover in the trailer, talking about the "awakening of the force." Speculation has exploded on the Internet about this with lots speculating that this is Benedict Cumberbatch in a secret role. Now, I love Cumberbatch as an actor and have seen lots of his work, but, while the voice kind of sounds like him to begin with, I don't think this is him. My theory is that this is Max von Sydow, one of the first actors announced who would be great at being the big bad of these new movies. Everyone else doesn't seem to be thinking the same though with lots thinking that this could be mo-cap actor Andy Serkis. I don't think so but it could be.  


I don't think I need to talk too much about who Oscar Isaac is playing judging by his getup here. It seems pretty safe to assume he is or will become a Rebel soldier as he is here piloting one of the classic X-Wings and rocking the Rebel uniform. Other cast members include Domhnall Gleeson and Gwendoline Christie but I'm not sure who they're playing right now although I think Christie could be the third Inquisitor while Gleeson could also be part of the Rebel forces. That's all I have to say on the announced cast so let's move onto some of my ideas on the potential plot before wrapping up here.


The Plot

It's difficult to say anything about the plot at this point but I'll give it a go anyway. Boyega will likely be the focus of the film as an Imperial trooper at the start and we'll see some battle scenes from the Empire's point of view. He'll soon end up on Tatooine where he will meet Daisy Ridley's scavenger/junker daughter of Han and Leia. She will probably be the one who turns him to the good side against the Empire, leading to the, both being trained by Luke as Jedi and in the Force. However, the Inquisitors, led by Adam Driver, are on the hunt for Luke on the orders of new Imperial leader and super Sith Max von Sydow as he is their greatest threat. Luke will probably lead Ridley and Boyega to the Rebel base where they will meet Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson but the base will be attacked by the Inquisitors. Luke will fend off two of them but will ultimately be killed by Driver's character in a show of power. This would basically act as a catalyst for Boyega and Ridley to fight against the Empire and the Inquisitors over the course of two more movies.

So, those are my theories on the plot and characters of "The Forc Awakens." It is clear that anticipation and excitement are high for this particular movie in a year of blockbusters next year and, whatever happens, I'm pretty sure it's going to be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment